Baby wipes are essential in every new parent’s collection of the most needed newborn items. Keeping a baby’s bottom wiped and clean is one of the most important and routine things you can do to protect baby’s health. The best baby wipes will not just be used on soft baby bums, although there will be lots of diaper changes! Baby wipes are great for wiping dirty little hands and faces, questionable surfaces that your little one may touch, or for cleaning yourself after a diaper change. It is important to most parents that the baby wipes they choose be economical, durable and healthy for little bums.
1. What Is a Baby Wipe?
Baby wipes are the (usually) disposable pre-moistened cloths that are used for cleanup anddiaper time. They come in a variety of package sizes, scents, and textures.
2. What Is Most Important to Consider When Shopping for the Best Baby Wipes?
Consider price per sheet, durability, and how sensitive the wipe will be on baby’s bottom. Cost is important because you will use a lot of these through baby’s diaper months. Durability matters because you do not want the wipe to fail while cleaning up a messy diaper. No one likes poo on their fingers. Many parents are electing to avoid chemical additives, harsh soaps or artificial fragrances as these all may irritate baby’s bottom.
3. Are There Alternatives to Using Disposable Baby Wipes?
4. Will I Need Baby Wipes If I Am Cloth Diapering?
Probably. Even the most dedicated user of cloth diapers and wipes will usually have a package of disposable wipes on hand for emergencies or outings. Sometimes, sitters appreciate the familiarity and simplicity of a disposable baby wipe.
How We Reviewed
Choosing the best baby wipes requires research. We have looked into some of the most popular baby wipes available to narrow down your search. We reviewed the best baby wipes for the price, features, pros, cons, and durability.
Overall Price Range of This Product
(and Similar Products)
Price ranges for the best baby wipes vary by size, brand and how natural they are. You will usually pay less for generic or chemically based wipes and more for brand name and natural wipes. Buying in bulk will always bring the cost down. Price per baby wipe ranges from about 1 cent to 8 cents each.
What We Reviewed
- The #1 Choice of Hospitals (based on hospital sales data)
- The #1 Sensitive Wipe (based on U.S./Canada "Sensitive" nationally branded sales)
- Clinically Proven Mild
- Dermatologist-tested, Perfume-free, Hypoallergenic
- Helps restore natural pH of the skin
These wipes are considered among the best for newborns and are often used by hospital nurseries. They have come from the well-known brand Pampers who have been making disposable diapers and wipes for so long that their name is often used in place of the word diapers. These wipes are advertised as hypoallergenic and pH-balanced; however, their ingredient list is similar to other commercial wipes and some parents report rashes after using them.
- Contains 99.9% purified water and a drop of fruit extract
- Suitable from birth
- Fragrance and Alcohol Free
- Awarded National Eczema Association of America Seal of Acceptance
- Other suitable usage includes: weaning, teething, cleaning of baby's hands and face, adult's sensitive skin care as well as elderly skin care
We don’t understand why water wipes are not more well-known. They are advertised as the purest wipe out there, containing only water and a tiny amount of grapefruit seed extract (GSE). Perhaps the higher cost prevents parents from trying these little marvels. We think these were some of the best baby wipes available and the extra few cents a diaper change is worth it for sensitive little bottoms. Recent reviews from parents have complained about their shrinking size and the addition of the preservative benzalkonium chloride.
- Fragrance-free and alcohol-free for sensitive skin. Provides instant moisturization, leaving your baby's skin soft.
- Our most caring and safety-tested formula is dermatologist and pediatrician tested
- Mild, non-irritating formula, our wipes are as gentle as water
- Our caring formulas are created without dyes, parabens or phthalates
- Individual, easy-to-pull baby wipes in a resealable pack that stays fresh once opened
The Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Wipes advertise as being a hand and face wipe that can also be used on your baby’s bottom. They are reported to be sensitive and hypoallergenic. Many reviewers report that these wipes have a wonderful fragrance, so we wonder how fragrance-free they are.
- 6 flip-top packs of 80 Fresh Scent wipes
- Now reformulated to be 98.3% water
- Alcohol-free, dye-free
- No parabens, phthalates, bronopol, methylisothiazolinone
- Dispose of used wipes in trash receptacle
Amazon is constantly coming up with its own brand of popular items and baby wipes are no exception. The Amazon Elements wipes are available in two scented and one unscented variety. They are reported to be very effective at cleaning partly due to the raised pattern on the wipes. These wipes come in flip top packs for easy resealing.
- AS UNIQUE AS YOUR BABY'S SKIN: Our wipes are formulated with plant-based EcoFiber in 100% hydro-pure water. They are hypoallergenic, and specifically formulated for use on sensitive skin, including the delicate skin of a newborn. Our wipes never contain alcohol, chlorine, phthalates, formaldehyde carriers, parabens, phenols, quaternary ammonium compounds, SLS, lanolin, or most common allergens. They are safe for all skin types, including those that are rash-prone.
- FRAGRANCE-FREE: Many of the baby wipes on the market today can contain even mild fragrance chemicals that harm your baby's skin. Scented wipes, when formulated with harmful chemicals, contain irritants that cause discomfort. This can lead to rashes, redness, dryness, and itchiness, even if the baby has otherwise normal skin. Babies with eczema-prone skin, or skin that's easily irritated, are especially vulnerable. This is why our wet wipes are 100% unscented and fragrance free.
- TEXTURED & THICK: Are you sick of having to use multiple wipes to fully clean the diaper area, especially because they break on you? We were too! This is why we carefully designed our wipes with a unique textured surface area. It makes the wipe stronger, and less prone to breakage. We have also incorporated a slight bit of stretch into the design to allow for easier movement and enhanced cleaning power. These revolutionary wipes are also an astonishing 8" by 7"!
- NOURISHING & MOISTURIZING: These gentle wipes have been enriched with natural, nourishing, plant-derived vitamins, such as A, B, and D, as well as Omegas 3 and 6. These ingredients provide a natural smoothness, giving the wipe a complex similar to a soothing lotion. Your baby will feel comfortable, and free of any dryness or irritation.
- TRUST BLOOM BABY: At bloom BABY, we strive to create products that are not only good for your baby, but good for the earth as well. We are happy to announce that our baby wipes are now USDA certified as a biobased product. Our wipes are always made in the United States using clean wind energy. Even better, these 100% hydro-based water wipes are made using Long Island's natural glacial aquifer, one of the freshest water sources available.
The Bloom Baby Jumbo Sensitive Wipes are big (8 X 7.1 inches) and claim to be natural in all the ways that count to parents. They are hypoallergenic, unscented, and organic. The manufacturer says they are safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin, rash-prone, and eczema. As a bonus, they are processed in a nut and gluten-free facility and are labeled as animal cruelty-free.
- NATURAL SCENT - Made with aloe vera, chamomile, oat and marshmallow extract and cucumber, our wipes delivers a quick, refreshing burst of natural scent that quickly dissipates as you use them. No lingering smell, no sticky residue from synthetic fragrances
- QUICK AND CONVENIENT - Keep full size wipes packs in your home, car, purse, office, or anywhere else you might need them. Peel and reseal covers make it easy to grab what you need, and you can always trust us to only use phthalate-free packaging
- BABY SAFE MOTHER APPROVED - Our certified hypoallergenic baby-safe wipes are alcohol-free, oil-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, fragrance-free, and free of petroleum-derived ingredients
- STRONG YET GENTLE - Our velvety feel cloth-like wipes are soft and comforting, made using 60gsm material. Gentle, latex free and hygiene grade elastic keeps a comfortable fit around your little one
- NEWBORN SAFE - Suitable to use on your newborn baby's extra sensitive skin - diaper changing, baby led weaning and cleaning of baby's hands and face
The Parasol Baby Wipes are all-natural wipes that are also large and durable. Parents report they like the size (about 7×7 inches), the texture, and the thickness of the wipes. The wipes contain no artificial fragrances or cleaners although they have many plant-based ingredients that will cause a scent. These are among the more expensive wipes on our list, but their durability will get the job done.
- ULTRA GENTLE FORMULA: Burts bees Baby Chlorine free baby wipes are non-irritating, fragrance-free and provide gentle comfort and lasting relief while cleaning baby's delicate skin
- NATURAL FORMULATION: These wipes are 99.2% natural, made with chlorine free fabric and gentle on baby's sensitive skin to help keep skin clean, fresh and soft
- SOOTHING INGREDIENTS: Hypoallergenic wipes have a cloth-like texture and are infused with aloe and vitamin E to help calm and soothe baby's sensitive skin
- CHLORINE-FREE: Formulated without chlorine or ingredients such as synthetic fragrances, parabens, phthalates, or petrolatum
- PEDIATRICIAN TESTED: Accepted by the National Eczema Association, these wipes are clinically proven to be effective and non-irritating when used every day
Burt’s Bees may be credited with starting the natural baby product trend 20 years ago. These wipes carry the Burt’s Bees name but they do not get the best reviews. Combine this with the higher price tag and they may disappoint. On the plus side, this company is known for being honest about ingredients, so you are not likely to see a surprise baby rash.
- · THICKER, stronger, more absorbent, easier dispensing
- · Skin soothing plant-based formula with a gentle preservative system
- · Soft bamboo cloth
- · Naturally scented with mild blend of Sweet Orange and Lavender
- · Hypoallergenic
The Bum Boosa Baby Wipes are the best baby wipes for the environmentally aware parents. They are made of biodegradable, sustainable, and renewable fibers. Knowing how many wipes parents will go through, we think this is a good idea. Most parents report good results although some dislike the smell.
- For use from top to bottoms!
- Formulated without: parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial dyes or fragrances
- Formulated with plant-derived ingredients
- Pediatrician & Dermatologist tested
Babyganics Face, Hand, and Baby Wipes boast a natural wipe that protects and nourishes baby’s delicate skin. In fact, most reviews by parents reflect that these natural wipes are a great option. They are mid-range in price and may be one of the best baby wipes available.
- Thicker - cleans mess with less. HUGGIES One & Done wipes are thicker than our Simply Clean baby wipes, and with patented TripleClean layers, these gentle wipes are as strong as they are soft
- Cucumber and Green Tea Baby Wipes
- No Harsh Chemicals
- pH-Balanced to maintain your baby's natural skin barrier.
These wipes are a bargain and usually require only one to clean a messy diaper as advertised. Yet, for what you save on money, your baby may pay a price as these are rough, sticky, and their fragrance may cause irritation for some tushies.
Choosing the best baby wipe requires parents to decide what is most important to them. If savings and natural ingredients are high on your priority list when choosing the best baby wipe, then Amazon Elements would be the best choice for you. If you want a wipe that is foremost environmentally friendly, Parasol would be the best baby wipe for you. Parasol wipes are also the most durable wipes on our list.
Once you know your priorities in selecting baby wipes, your choice will be easier to make. The wipes on our list have something for everyone and all will make the day-to-day life of a parent a bit easier.