Dry air is more than frustrating for many people, and it can also make it difficult to breathe at night. For babies, not breathing well can keep them awake because they are not comfortable due to the mucus in their nasal passages being hard if the air is too dry. To help moisten the air, choose the best humidifier for baby, so they are comfortable at night.
Baby Humidifier FAQs
These questions help provide a brief overview of humidifiers that parents can buy to ease their babies' congestion, stuffiness, and to moisturize the air.
1. What is a baby humidifier?
A humidifier acts to put moisture back into the air during the winter months when the air tends to be drier or during the summer when the air conditioning is running. Air conditioners dry out the air, removing the humidity from it. Along causing stuffy noses that can make it difficult to breathe, it also dries out skin, which can become itchy and flaky.
2. How do baby humidifiers work?
Although several types of humidifiers are available. The two main types for babies’ rooms are cool and warm mist humidifiers.
A warm mist humidifier moistens the air by releasing warm mist into the room. It helps babies breathe better by loosening mucus, preventing its buildup, opening their airways, and it reduces both viruses and germs.
A cool-mist humidifier releases cool mist into the air, which is cool or at room temperature. Most pediatricians recommend them for babies with croup, which is an upper airway infection. Another reason doctors recommend these humidifiers is that they don’t have a heating element, so curious babies won’t get scalded if they investigate it.
3. How much humidity should be in the air?
Along with making it easier to breathe and keeping skin soft, the proper humidity levels are essential for maintaining a healthy home. Too much humidity and mold can start to form, and if the humidity is too low, skin can be irritated, and it can be difficult to breathe. The proper humidity levels are between 30 and 50 percent, with the ideal amount being approximately 45 percent.
4. How is humidity measured?
The humidity in your house or apartment is easy to measure with a gauge known as a hygrometer. Hang it in your baby's room to measure the moisture, and then take the proper steps to increase the humidity or decrease it.
A hygrometer looks like a temperature gauge, and you can buy one at hardware, home improvement, or retail stores. However, many hygrometers are digital now with LED displays, and they perform other functions like reading the temperature of the room and displaying the time.
How We Reviewed
To create a list of baby humidifiers to review, we did some research on them by reading about how they work and which types are available. We also read the testimonials, and reviews parents left about the brands and models they bought for their babies. After gathering this information, we finalized a list of the best baby humidifiers for our readers.
Overall Price Range of Humidifiers for Babies
The price range for humidifiers suitable for babies’ rooms is about $25 to around $90.
Baby Humidifiers Buyers Guide: How to Choose a Baby Humidifier
If a baby is experiencing stuffiness, frequent colds, or is having trouble breathing at night, their pediatrician may recommend adding a humidifier to their room to add moisture into the air. Along with determining whether you should have a warm or cool mist version in their room, you will need to decide on which type.
Cool mist models are available in two different types, ultrasonic or evaporative humidifiers.
An ultrasonic humidifier uses the vibrations from high-frequency sounds to break down water particles into a mist. These models are energy-efficient, quiet, and most of them are small, so they don't take up much room.
They can be more expensive than other models and are more apt to breakdown than traditional evaporative humidifiers. They may also leave behind a fine, white substance on the furniture that’s a byproduct of the mist, but it isn’t harmful to children or adults. It just means extra work to clean it.
An evaporative model creates a cool mist with help from an inner fan. Unlike the ultrasonic models that don’t have filters, an evaporative model contains a filter that catches the minerals before they can go into the air and helps create the hydrating mist.
While you don’t need to worry about white dust because of the filter, the fans on these models can be noisy, they are larger than ultrasonic models, and they use more energy when releasing mist into the air.
To help determine which type to buy, consider these three factors:
Babies who are just learning to walk or toddlers who are curious about everything could accidentally burn themselves on warm mist humidifiers. They release hot steam, which can burn flesh if small children get near it or play with it. Make sure to keep warm mist humidifiers well out of young children's reach.
It's essential to follow the cleaning and drying instructions that come with the humidifier that you buy. Mold can develop within 48 hours if something gets damp, so you should make sure the machine is properly cleaned and dried to prevent bacteria and mildew from forming. Also, change the water frequently because bacteria can build up when it is stagnant.
It's recommended by many humidifier manufacturers to use distilled water in their models, especially if you have hard water in your area. The mist spreads the minerals present in water throughout the room when a humidifier is in use. While humidifiers will still work with ordinary tap water, using distilled water will help the humidifier perform better and may prolong its life.
So, consider the type of humidifier that you wish to buy and these factors when choosing one amongst the available models.
Best Humidifiers for Babies
We chose these humidifiers because they are some of the best that you can buy for your baby’s room. This information can help you choose the best humidifier for baby.
Safety 1st Sleepy Baby Nail Clippers
- COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: Uses the power of ultrasonic vibration to turn water into a cool hydrating mist that runs for up to 12 hours. Mist adjuster goes from gentle mist to tropical rainforest with a twist of the knob. The water tank is BPA free
- DIFFUSER: Add Breath Frida Vapor Drops or any aromatherapy-grade essential oil for easier breathing - it covers up to 320 square feet with a 0.5 gallon tank.
- COLOR CHANGING NIGHTLIGHT: Equipped with a range of nightlight colors for even more control over the dreamy ambiance.
- AUTO-STOP FEATURE: Designed to automatically turn off when the water runs out or the tank is removed.
- 3-IN-1: Use humidifier, diffuser and nightlight all together, or individually.
If you decide to buy a humidifier for your baby’s nursery, the FridaBaby model produces a cool mist to relieve their stuffiness.
This ultrasonic humidifier converts water by using sound vibrations into a cool mist that helps hydrate the air. If your baby has a cold, you can also use the vapor drops from FridaBaby or any aromatherapy quality essential oils in the diffuser to make it easier for him or her to breathe.
It can run up to 12 hours, and it can cover a room that’s up to 320 square feet. The machine also automatically shuts off if the water runs out or the tank isn’t on it. The mist is adjustable, so if a heavier one is needed, it is available. It also has a nightlight with an on or off option, and it can change colors.
Pros and Cons
Here are a few of the things we like and don’t like about this humidifier.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
PurSteam Ultrasonic Baby Humidifier
- 【WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION with ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY】- Ultrasonic humidifier lowers the noise level to 32dB for quiet humidification. So it won’t disturbing your bedtime, working or study – ideal humidifier for baby room or office space.
- 【ALL NIGHT MIST with 2-LITER WATER TANK】- Holding up to 2 liters (0.5gallon) of water, the cool mist humidifier allows up to 25 hours of working time in low mist. It provides up to 200 sq.ft coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms. Besides, soothing dim NIGHT LIGHT Offers maximum relaxation during sleeping.
- 【AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF for INCREASED SAFETY】- The cool mist humidifier will automatically shut off with red LED light on when water level is low or the water tank is removed. No worry when you are in a hurry leaving home.
- 【HIGH/LOW MIST LEVELS with EASY USE BUTTON】- 2 mist setting levels (High and low speed settings) for you to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level. Simple one touch button is quite easy to understand and setup.
- 【NO FILTER NEEDED and BILL SAVES】– No longer worrying about the expensive filters with this filterless humidifier. This cool mist humidifier is covered with 365 days replacement and 60 days money back promise . Ucareair provides hassle-free services with in 24 hours if you have any concerns.
This humidifier releases cool mist to help hydrate the air in a baby’s room to help them get a better night’s sleep.
The first thing you may notice about this ultrasonic humidifier is that the water level is visible, so you can see when it needs filling and cleaning. It has an indicator that lights up when the water needs topping off, or it shuts down when it runs out of water, or the tank is not on the base.
The off and on switch and knob to change hydration levels is on front of the machine, as is the button to turn on and off the nightlight. The tank holds 2.2 liters of water, and the humidifier can run for up to 17 straight hours. The direction of the mist is adjustable too.
Pros and Cons
Here are the things we like and don’t like about this model.
Pure Enrichment MistAire Cool Mist Humidifier
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST TECHNOLOGY: Safely moisturizes the air for up to 16 hours of continuous operation so you can breathe easy and get more restful sleep | High and low speed settings make it easy to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level
- 1.5-LITER WATER TANK: Provides ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms
- OPTIONAL NIGHT LIGHT: Offers soothing glow for maximum relaxation
- AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF: Turns humidifier off when water level is low or the water tank is removed
- WHAT YOU GET: Humidifier, AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
The Pure Enrichment humidifier is an ultrasonic humidifier that runs quietly despite the fact they use high-frequency sounds to turn water into mist.
It can run for 16 continuous hours, hydrating the air in your baby's room or you can move it to other rooms that need more moisture. It has high and low-speed settings to adjust the strength of the mist, along with an adjustment to change the mist's direction.
It has a 1.5-liter tank that can cover most medium-sized rooms or those measuring up to 250 sq. ft. It automatically shuts off if the water level is too low or when the tank off the base. It puts out about 150 milliliters of mist per hour.
Pros and Cons
Here are some things we like and don’t like about this humidifier.
Vicks One-Gallon Warm Mist Dehumidifier
- VICKS WARM MIST HUMIDIFIER: This warm mist humidifier, for bedrooms, baby nurseries, kids' bedrooms, or anyplace where you want congestion relief, can be used with Vicks VapoSteam for medicated vapors. Filter-free, full 1 gallon tank can run for 24 hours
- VICKS HUMIDIFIERS FOR KIDS, ADULTS: Humidifier diffuses 95% bacteria free mist into the air. Many women and men find that a humidifier for the bedroom becomes an essential part of a good night's sleep when the air is dry, in allergy season, or when sick
- COUGH & CONGESTION RELIEF: When you or your kid has a cold, it can be difficult to sleep through the night. Humidifiers and vaporizers provide temporary relief from coughing and congestion, so your rest won't be as disturbed by coughing fits
- VICKS VAPORIZERS, HUMIDIFIERS, & STEAM INHALERS: Moisture & humidity offer temporary relief from cough & congestion due to colds or allergies. Vicks line of humidifiers & steam inhalers, help you breathe easier wherever you are, from the bedroom to office.
- HUMIDIFIERS FOR BEDROOMS, DESKS, TABLES: Our humidifiers & vaporizers help you breathe better wherever you are.
Vicks produces a warm mist humidifier to ease a baby’s stuffiness and let them sleep better at night.
If your baby, or you, are congested, use this warm air humidifier to help break it the mucus and breathe easier. It is also suitable for use with Vicks VapoSteam to release medicated vapors to break up mucus making it difficult to breathe.
Unlike most warm misting humidifiers, this one doesn't use a filter and has one gallon, or four-liter, tank. It can run for 24 hours and provides 95 percent bacteria-free mist to humidify the air. This humidifier is light-weight and portable so that it can travel from room to room.
It has two output settings to make the room as comfortable as necessary, and the humidifier turns off automatically when the tank is empty. However, the tank is translucent, so you can tell when it needs more water. It has two handles to lift the tank off the base after it's been operating.
Pros and Cons
Here are some of the features that we like and those we don’t.
Elechomes UC5502 Ultrasonic Humidifier
- IMPROVED SLEEP MODE: Trouble sleeping? Activate sleep mode to turn off the LED display and ensure operation under a whisper-quiet 32dB. More importantly, this Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier lasts for a sound sleep all night! One tank will last for up to 40 hours of continuous use.
- 6L LARGE TANK, LONG-LASTING DESIGN: Equipped with a large 6L tank and dual 360° rotatable nozzles, this humidifier can humidify rooms up to 750 sq ft! Cool mist mode for soothing moisture and improved sleep, while warm mist mode is perfect for providing extra heat in the winter.
- SMART HUMIDITY SENSING: A state-of-the-art humidity sensor will detect the humidity of the room quickly. You’ll know how much humidification you need to reach your desired humidity level. What's more, the humidifier will turn off when the desired humidity is reached and will turn on again when the humidity drops.
- REMOTE CONTROL & TIMER: Operate the humidifier from a distance with the convenient remote! You are able to set mist level, mist temperature, and more. Just set the timer to 1-12 hours and then the humidifier will shut off when time ends. No more waste of energy.
- AROMATHERAPY- ENABLED: This Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier heal your mind and body with the aromatherapy function, just add your essential oils to begin! Two aroma pads are included. Please not to add essential oils to water directly.
This Elechomes humidifier offers both warm and cool mists to add moisture to the air.
The Elechomes UC5502 is larger size humidifier that holds six liters of water in a translucent tank. It offers both warm and cool mist that is suitable for a large baby’s room. It can humidify rooms as large as 750 sq. ft. It has rotatable dual nozzles for directing the mist to where you want it to go.
To ensure a room is at the desired humidity, this machine has a humidity sensor that allows homeowners or parents to set the humidifier to the setting they want. The humidifier shuts off when it reaches the desired amount, and if the humidity drops, the machine turns back on to start misting again.
It has an LED display with a touchpad on the front of the machine that turns off in sleep mode. It is as quiet and runs at only 34dB when in sleep mode. The mist level, temperature, and other settings can be input on the display or with a remote that comes with the humidifier.
This humidifier is capable of running for 40 continuous hours due to its six-liter tank capacity. It is available in white or black.
Pros and Cons
Here are some of the things we like and don’t like about the Elechomes humidifier.
30-day money-back guarantee
Vicks Mini Filter Cool Mist Humidifier
- FILTER-FREE COOL MIST HUMIDIFER – Vicks Mini Cool Mist Humidifier is an essential part of a good night’s sleep when family members are sick, during allergy season or when the air is dry It also works with Vicks VapoPads for extra soothing comfort
- QUICK AND EASY TO USE – Vicks filter-free humidifiers don’t require replacement filters With a 5 gallon tank, you can enjoy a visible cool mist for up to 20 hours It’s quiet, too, making it a great choice for your bedroom or as a baby humidifier
- COUGH AND CONGESTION RELIEF – Filterless humidifiers for the home can be helpful during cold and flu season, when it’s difficult to sleep with a cough and congestion A humidifier or vaporizer can provide temporary relief by adding necessary moisture to the air
- HUMIDIFIERS FOR BEDROOM AND MORE – A cool mist humidifier is great for a baby, young children and adults, and fits perfectly into any room Use them when the air is dry, in allergy season, when sick or even just to maintain optimal indoor humidity levels
- A CENTURY OF POWERFUL RELIEF– At Vicks, we believe that everyone deserves a touch of care Our line of humidifiers, steam inhalers and vaporizers help you breathe better and sleep more comfortably, wherever you are
Vicks also produces a cool-mist humidifier to help relieve your baby's stuffy nose and congestion so that they can breathe easier.
This mini humidifier can provide the cool mist needed in a bedroom or baby's nursery to add moisture to the air. It holds 0.5 liters of water in a translucent tank so that you can check on the water level. The mist is adjustable, so if it needs to be harder or softer, then turn the knob on the front of the machine.
It has a scent pad heater, so it can help release the scent of the VapoPads to help relieve congestion due to colds or allergies. When the humidifier runs out of water, it will automatically shut itself off. When the tank is full, and the setting is on low, it can run for 20 hours.
The humidifier can be bought by itself or with a two-pack or five-pack of VapoPads.
Pros and Cons
Here is what we like and don’t like about this humidifier
Three-year limited warranty
- 💧 UNIQUE SILENT TECHNOLOGY: Unlike traditional humidifiers, our ultra-silent humidifier with weaken water flow technology and dustproof sponge lowers the noise level to 27dB for quiet humidification without disturbing your study, working . Our ultra-silent humidifier is designed to work quietly while creating a healthy environment for work, play or rest.
- 💧HIGH OUTPUT / LARGE CAPACITY: A true personal humidifier built from the ground up to increase the humidity of a full size room. Featuring a 4L (1.06gal) tank, with a super high mist output up to 300ml/hr, our cool mist humidifier works with rooms up to 430 sq. ft and lasts 50 straight hours between refills!
- 💧EASY TO FILL AND CLEAN: A big opening of the water tank makes it super easy to clean, ensures healthy air for your family. Built-in handle for convenient carrying.
- 💧360° DEGREE HUMIDITY COVERAGE: 360° degree rotating nozzle ensures an even level of humidity distributed in your home.It's the perfect size for any room, big or small.Convenient usage in your office, home , bedroom, living room, and anywhere else you might need it.
- 💧SAFE TO USE: Auto shut-off when the water's drained or when water tank lifted; dry burn protection; IC board waterproof with nanometer layer; dustproof sponge prevents dust from entering via the base for a humidifier with a lengthy life span and ensure a safe environment, which works Longer than other humidifiers on the market.
This iTeknic humidifier releases a cool mist so that your baby can breathe easier when sleeping at night or if they have a cold.
The iTeknic humidifier is suitable for use all over the house, including in a baby’s room. It runs quietly, so it won’t disrupt sleep as it only runs at 27dB when in quiet mode. The mist levels are adjustable, so if you need to run it on high, you can adjust the level of output.
The high mist output is 300ml per hour from a large capacity tank of four liters or 1.06 gallons of water. It can humidify rooms up to 430 sq. ft. and run for up to 50 continuous hours between water refills. The large opening in the tank makes it easy to clean, so bacteria and mold don’t buildup in it.
The nozzle rotates so that you can get 360-degree coverage in a room. When the tank is empty, or the tank is off the base, the machine automatically shuts off. It has a dustproof sponge that prevents dust from getting in through the base of the machine. It comes with dry burn protection too.
Pros and Cons
Here are the things we like and don’t like about the iTeknic humidifier.
iTeknic supplies a two-year warranty
Brand & Model
9.2H x 9.2W x 9-inches D
Running Hours 12 hourscontinuous
11H x 10.2W x 8.5-inches D
Running Hours 20 hours, 17 continuous
Pure Enrichment MistAire
9H x 8W x 6-inches D
Running Hours 16 hours maximum, continuous
Vicks Warm Mist Dehumidifier
14.2H x 7.9W x 12-inches D
Running Hours 12 hours
Elechomes UC5502 Ultrasonic
Ultrasonic and Warm Mist
11.6H x 7.7W x 11-inches D
Running Hours 40 hours continuous
Vicks Mini Cool Mist
9.1H x 8.3W x 8.3-inches D
Running Hours 20 hours
13.3H x 6.6W x 10.6-inches D
Running Hours 50 hours, continuous
After researching to come up with this list to find the best humidifier for baby, we evaluated them and discovered that the iTeknic Ultrasonic humidifier is the best choice. It is a larger unit with a four-liter water tank, which can run for up to 50 hours straight.
It runs quietly, and the nozzle rotates for 360-degree coverage of the mist to help a baby or adults to sleep better at night. Although the Elechomes humidifier can run up to 40 hours, its tank capacity is larger at six-liters, and it only has a 30-day money-back guarantee for a warranty.
The iTeknic machine runs longer on less water, it has a two-year warranty, and it has most of the features needed to help a baby sleep comfortably throughout the night.
Featured Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Last update on 2021-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API